Direct Instruction is a teacher-directed instructional method of carefully orchestrated lessons where nothing is left to chance. Everything is taught through demonstration and action, and practised until it is fully understood and each child can apply it. Finally, every concept is reviewed thoroughly to ensure mastery. It is as simple as that!
With Direct Instruction (DI) you can build confidence and ability and prevent academic failure. You can give every child the opportunity to succeed by tapping into the power of research-proven results and get your students off to a strong start by teaching active phonics, using fiction and non-fiction text.
These programmes impact on both cognitive and affective dimensions of the individual. They have a consistent teaching language; the format of each lesson is almost the same and the learning increments are small. This predicable, familiar scenario for each lesson means the child approaches lessons positively because they know what will be required of them …
- … and they will be successful in his answers first time almost all the time because tasks are organised for a ‘first time right’ response (via teacher modelling). This is hugely encouraging, success is continually replicated and confidence soars. Praise occurs frequently and every child in the group knows that he is doing well.
- DI provides continuous assessment to ensure that the lesson content is taught, that what is taught is practised, and what is practised is applied until it is mastered.
- Since lessons are briskly paced and the class group answers every question in unison, the child has almost limitless opportunities to answer correctly. For some children this is a very novel experience! However, if he makes a mistake a simple correction procedure is brought into place for the group to respond to, without him being identified.
- Progress is visible in each lesson and the improvement in learning is often well beyond expectations.
- Children with phonic, psychological or emotional impediments to learning find in DI a methodology that enables them to succeed at every stage.